“Through soul-searching and listening more deeply to the women I was working with, I finally understood that women have to prepare for birth in their heart and soul, not their head.”
Author of Birthing from Within & Ancient Map for Modern Birth
The Birthing From Within® approach offers a balance of practical information and creative exploration. Through group discussion, breathing and mindfulness practices, videos, and sample scenarios, the class will prepare expectant parents with information and a mindset to meet labor as it unfolds. Recognizing that we can influence, but not totally control how birth unfolds, this approach gives parents tools to work with the pain and intensity of birth and also a mindset to birth through any unexpected twists and turns in the birth and postpartum experience.
- Overview of normal labor and its variations
- Build a pain coping mindset through breathing and mindfulness practice
- Birth partner support skills and communication
- Experience birth as a rite of passage
- What to expect from your care provider and birth place
- Compassionate and appropriate use of medical intervention and pain medication
- Create a birth space and team that will facilitate your labor
- Prepare to navigate through any unexpected elements that arise in labor
- Create a healthy postpartum period/early transition to parenting
…and much more!
Class size is small (usually 5-10 couples) to individualize the unique needs of participants. Childbirth classes are held at Luma Yoga & Family Center in downtown Santa Cruz. Private instruction is available – contact Kymm Ann for details.
Winter/Spring/Summer 2019 Class Dates:January/February six week series – Tuesdays 6:30-9:00 PM from 1/8 through 2/12 & Post Birth ClassFebruary/March six week series – Mondays 6:30-9:00 PM from 2/11 through 3/18 & Post Birth Class
April/May six week series – Tuesdays 6:30-9:00 PM 4/9 through 5/14 & Post Birth Class
June weekend immersion class – Friday June 28 6:30-9, Saturday June 29 12:30-6 & Sunday June 30 12:30-4:30 & Post Birth Class
August weekend immersion class – Friday August 23rd 6:30-9, Saturday August 24th 12:30-6 & Sunday August 25th 12:30-4:30 & Post Birth Class