“Through soul-searching and listening more deeply to the women I was working with, I finally understood that women have to prepare for birth in their heart and soul, not their head.”
Author of Birthing from Within & Ancient Map for Modern Birth
Mother’s Journey childbirth preparation offers a balance of practical information and creative exploration. Through group discussion, breathing and mindfulness practices, videos, and sample scenarios, the class will prepare expectant parents with information and a mindset to meet labor as it unfolds. Recognizing that one can influence, but not totally control how birth unfolds, this approach gives parents tools to work with the pain and intensity of birth, and also a mindset to birth through any unexpected twists and turns in the birth and postpartum experience.
The curriculum which Kymm Ann brings to her birth classes comes from having attended hundreds of women in birth, in a variety of settings – hospital, home, and birth center. She has been highly influenced by her training in the Birthing From Within approach, as well as from various other trainings/teachers. She credits much of the wisdom which she shares in classes to the many women she has accompanied through labor and postpartum.
- Overview of normal labor and its variations
- Build a pain coping mindset through breath and mindfulness practice
- Physical techniques (positions, touch) for pain coping and labor progress
- Birth partner support skills and communication
- Experience birth as a rite of passage
- What to expect from your care provider and birth place
- Compassionate and appropriate use of medical intervention and pain medication
- Create a birth space and team that will facilitate your labor
- Connect with other expectant parents
- Prepare to navigate through any unexpected elements that arise in labor
- Create a healthy postpartum period/early transition to parenting
- Postpartum reunion class
Class size is small (usually 5-12 couples). Childbirth classes are held at and can be registered through Luma Yoga & Family Center in downtown Santa Cruz. Private instruction is available – contact Kymm Ann for details.
|Summer/Fall/Early Winter 2020 Classes Dates:
Sundays July 5th – July 26th 5-8:30 pm & Post Birth Class
Saturday September 12th 1-4:30 pm
Sunday, September 13th 5-8:30 pm
Saturday September 19th 1-4:30 pm
Sunday, September 20th 5-8:30 pm
& Post Birth Class
Wed Dec 2nd – 6:30-9
Wed Dec 9nd – 6:30-9
Wed Dec 16th – 6:30-9
Sat Dec 12th – 1:30-5
Sun Dec 13th – 1:30-5
& Post Birth Class
*As of March 15th: In light of COVID19 all birth classes will be offered online in a live format via Zoom until further notice. Classes will continue to be interactive and personalized. Classes will return to an in person format when deemed safe by CDC guidelines.
Private instruction is also available.